Presight is doing a research project on safety culture
A strong safety culture in place helps an organization to set a high level of standards for all safety processes. In this regard, Presight is developing a model to capture safety culture score in various organizations/operations. The model is currently being tested in an oil and gas organization.
Safety culture is built collectively, addressing behavioral aspects, situational aspects, and psychological characteristics in an organization. As the relationship between safety culture (i.e, the stable ways in which people behave) and safety climate (i.e., perceived values on safety in an organisation at a particular point in time) is like a two-way arrow, we, at Presight, decided to have both together as an ideal model, indicating the overall safety culture.
By undertaking a safety culture assessment, a company can:
- Identify weaknesses and strengths in their health and safety practices
- Identify areas for improving safety management systems
- Involve employees in health and safety issues
- Identify perception gaps between leaders and employees and Improve perception of more support available from management among employees
- Benchmark (compare) safety culture results at different levels (Rigs, Departments, Crew)
- Encourage continuous improvement through recommendations
- Improve production, reduce sick leave, compensation, and insurance costs
- Enhance safety knowledge and motivation to behave safely among employees
In this project, we are aiming to find out and evaluate how people act when nobody is watching, what is important and is considered as a value, how things work in an organization, what the organization has, and how people feel. In this regard, we found the main relevant domains to be addressed including but not limited to:
– Management and Employee commitment
– Work-related stress
– Employee empowerment
– Supportive leadership
– Informed/Awareness effectiveness
– Policies and Procedures
– Incident-related factors
We are about to measure the data in two ways of Objective (gathering data directly from the companies) and Subjective measures (using a survey designed by Presight). Moreover, as part of this project, we are running tests using different algorithm models and machine learning to predict and display the existing patterns through the safety observation cards.
We are looking forward to tell you more about the model and results.